1. What is your pet’s name?
My dog’s name is Zoey. 🙂
2. What kind of pet is it and what breed?
She is a Labrador retriever mix. We don’t know what else she is mixed with, but she’s definitely on the smaller side, about 33 pounds, and she has a purple tongue!
3. How long have you had your pet friend?
We adopted Zoey (previously named Jillian) on February 16th, 2013. She was about three months old, which means we’ve had her for over five years!
4. How did you get your pet?
After visiting our nearby animal shelter several times, my husband (then boyfriend) began researching online for a potential fur baby. He found a rescue organization called Lucky Lab, and this little girl was available as part of a new litter.
We learned Zoey’s mom was found pregnant and was brought to a veterinary school in Indiana, US. The mother had five puppies, including Zoey. Of the five, Zoey was the only one who had mixed fur coloring. The other four were either solid black or solid chocolate brown.
This is the picture of Zoey that Lucky Lab had on their site and it was our first time seeing her.
Due to it being winter in New England, the transport from Indiana to Connecticut (~14/15 hours driving) couldn’t happen until there wasn’t any indication of snow. The trip was rescheduled twice before we were able to meet the adoption van to finally pick up our little girl.
5. How old is your pet?
She is 5 and 1/2 years old. Her birthday is on November 24th, 2012.
6. What are some quirky things about your pets personality?
Oh boy, is our little girl quirky, lol! She is so so sweet, lovable, gentle, timid, silly, and very smart.
- When meeting new people, sometimes she loves someone instantly and sometimes she is completely frightened, but we can’t decipher when she’s comfortable or not. This creates some awkward conversations/interactions, lol.
- Whenever I put on lotion or if we lean into Zoey after eating, she rarely licks. Instead, she smells intently and licks the air, lol.
- She makes such goofy faces, lol. Can’t help but laugh at her silliness.
- She likes to “answer” our questions (i.e. “Do you want some food?” “Do you need to go out?” “Do you want to go for a walk?”) with a very enthusiastic pounce to the floor. This is her way of saying “yes”, and it’s extremely funny every time. 😀
- Instead of becoming whiny, Zoey becomes really attentive when she believes treats are nearby. She literally stares at you in the eyes until the treat is given.
- Zoey also has a thing of lying down in funny positions sometimes.
7. What does your relationship with your pet mean to you?
It means so much to me. Honestly, Zoey provides so much more happiness to our lives by making us smile, laugh, and fill our hearts with joy. She is there when I’m happy and sad. Cuddles, snuggles, and kisses are the best!
All of this is so important as my hubby works a lot and sometimes travels for work. Zoey not only keeps me company, but she makes sure I exercise with daily walks and play time.
Okay, I’m gushing. I just love her to pieces and I’m so happy to have her in my life.
8. What are some of your favorite past times with your pet?
Aww…I love when we cuddle as a little pack and when our little family goes on a walk or a hike together!
9. What are nicknames that you call your pet?
- Zoey pups
- Silly butts
Thank you for reading! I’m not officially tagging anyone since I’m not sure who has a pet and who doesn’t, lol. But, if you would like to complete this one, go for it!